About Cottingham Tennis
Cottingham Tennis Club is centrally located in the Avenue Road-Dupont Street area of downtown Toronto. Tennis has been played at the site since the early 1920’s when the Canadian National Railways assumed ownership. Today, there are five outdoor well–maintained clay (Har–Tru) courts (see header) and a clubhouse with kitchen and shower facilities (see insert). A large landscaped area adjacent to the courts is convenient for relaxation, lunches and spectating.
The club operates from late April to late October under the management of a volunteer board, a full-time pro/manager and attendants.
Social: There is a full slate of events throughout the summer including, among others, well-attended, well-catered round robins. Periodic newsletters keep members aware of the schedule. Regular mid–week round robins are also held.
Competition: For matches with other clubs, there is a men’s team (A-2) and two women’s teams (A-2 and C-1). In the fall, the Club tournament determines the champions in the various categories: singles, doubles, mixed, and in various age groups.
Instruction: The club pro provides lessons for all ages and skill levels. He will arrange clinics for any members interested in learning new, or refreshing old, skills. Ontario Tennis Association (OTA) programs are run from time to time.